HMA is user friendly and fast VPN that is great for streaming. HMA offers a powerful service and excellent server speeds. One click Lightning Connect makes it easy to hide from governemnt surveillance and censorship.
- A wide range of servers and networks across the globe.
- Very helpful Customer Support.
- A no-logging policy.
- Unblock Netflix with ease.
- Sometime fails to unblock BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+.
This article is a detailed review of the HideMyAss (HMA) VPN service. In this article, we not only get to know more about the VPN service itself, but we also delve deep into its features, and the pros and cons of the HMA VPN service.
What is the use of a VPN service?
Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a service that helps in maintaining the user’s privacy and gives them anonymity and helps in keeping their identity private. A VPN reroutes the internet traffic of the user through their own server, giving the illusion of the internet traffic being theirs instead of the user’s. This helps in successfully masking the identity of the user, thus giving them privacy and safety on the Internet.
What is the HideMyAss (HMA) VPN and what makes it unique?
HideMyAss VPN is undoubtedly one of the most popular names in the VPN market, and it has been in business since 15 years. HMA VPN has a huge network of more than 1,060+ servers in 290+ locations spread across 210+ countries. The strong and varied HideMyAss list of servers is very beneficial to users of a VPN, and it is one of the major reasons for the ever-growing popularity of the HMA VPN.
The privacy and level of safety that the HMA VPN gives is another strong feature. The safety and security it provides is thanks to OpenVPN and IKEv2 support, AES-256-GCM data encryption, SHA-256 data authentication and RSA-4096 for handshaking. It also comes equipped with a Kill Switch, which ensures that your safety and privacy is not harmed, even in case the VPN connection ends due to some interruptions.
HMA VPN also is equipped with its own DNS service, which helps in preventing DNS leaks, and as an extra benefit, also helps in blocking harmful and phishing sites.
The HMA VPN also proudly claims that they are compatible with all devices, and for all the right reasons. HMA VPN has its own custom apps for operating systems like Mac, Windows, iOS, Android and Linux, but this is not all. HMA VPN also has instruction and installation advice on their website in an effort to help the users in setting up the VPN on their devices on their own, regardless of the operating system. These instructions also help you to configure some routers, which in a way, will also help you in using the VPN service with smart devices of the users.
The newest development in the HMA VPN is that it has put itself through an independent security audit, and they passed the test, which means that they are now a certified VPN service with a no-logging policy.
- Total Number of Countries with Servers: 190+
- Total Number of Servers: 1,100
- Total Number of IP Addresses: 4,000
- Does HMA VPN have a No Logging policy? : Yes
- Does the HMA VPN have a Kill Switch? : Yes
- Total Number of devices the HMA VPN can connect to simultaneously: 5 devices in the Individual Use subscription/ 10 devices in the Family Use subscription.
Features Review of the HideMyAss VPN
1. Privacy and No Logging Policy
When the user connects to the HMA VPN server network, their IP address is immediately hidden, ensuring that the security of the user is not compromised. The security system of the HMA VPN uses the industrial strength AES 256 bit encryption, which has shown immense strength and is extremely tough to break into, even by very experienced hackers.
The HMA VPN also gives the users a wide variety of choices regarding secure protocols. The user can choose between UDP and TCP OpenVPN, IKEv2. IPsec/L2TP and also PPTP.
One of the most unique features of the HMA VPN is that it offers a strong security system with little to no configuration by the user. The default protocol of the HMA VPN on all platforms, except the iOS, is an OpenVPN connection with a UDP port. This is because OpenVPN provides one of the most strong security without any of the vulnerabilities of the other protocols.
3. Kill Switch
A Kill Switch is a great and important addition to any VPN service. It is the Kill Switch that cuts off the Internet connection of the user completely in case of any interruptions in the VPN connection. This is because, in the absence of a Kill Switch, even a minor interruption in the connection of the VPN service can result in the unmasking of the user’s identity, which risks their privacy immensely. A Kill Switch, thus, is a very important security feature in a VPN service. HMA VPN offers a Kill Switch feature on their Windows, Android and Mac apps.
4. IP Shuffling
The IP Shuffling feature is another unique addition in the HMA VPN service, that is not usually seen in other VPN services. The IP Shuffling feature functions by automatically switching the user to a new IP address after a specific time limit. This is done in order to ensure that the user’s internet activities are completely masked and untraceable.
If you intend to use the IP Shuffling feature of the HMA VPN, it is advised that you use the Kill Switch along with it, to prevent any data leaks while switching between two servers.
The HMA VPN also uses their own server to ensure that there are no DNS leaks on their service.
The HMA VPN offers two different types of subscription plans, one for Individual Use, and the other for Family Use. The pricing of the HMA VPN service is quite affordable, unlike some of the very expensive VPN services out in the market.
The subscription plan for Individual Use
- $4.99 a month for the 1 year subscription plan.
- $3.99 a month for the 2 year subscription plan.
- $2.99 a month for the 3 year subscription plan.
The subscription plan for the Family Use
- $7.99 a month for the 1 year subscription plan.
- $6.99 a month for the 2 year subscription plan.
- $5.99 a month for the 3 year subscription plan.
As with most VPN services, even in the case of the HMA VPN, it can be seen that the best value for your money is in the longer subscriptions.
One of the best things offered by the HMA VPN service has to be the HideMyAss Free trial for 7 days. The HMA VPN also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, which allows the user to try out the product and decide if it is the right VPN service for them or not.
The subscription plans of the HMA VPN can be bought using PayPal, Visa Card, Mastercard, American Express Card, and also UnionPay.
HMA VPN Apps
Be it Windows, Mac, Android, Linux, or iOS, the HMA VPN service is compatible with all the major platforms. There are, however, a few differences across the different devices.
The Windows, Mac, and Android apps of the HMA VPN include a Kill Switch, IP refresh and an IP Shuffle feature, while none of these features is available on the iOS version of the HideMyAss app.
Speed and Streaming
The speed of the HMA VPN is impressively fast and has little to no interruptions as a result. Most of the HMA VPN servers provide an exceptionally fast speed, and because of their huge network of servers, the user should not have a problem finding a server that gives them the speed that they are looking for.
Coming to the streaming capabilities of the HMA VPN, it definitely can improve quite a bit in this area. Even though the HMA VPN successfully manages to unblock Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+.
The HMA VPN team can be reached by the users through various mediums in case of any help or queries. The users can follow any of the ways mentioned below to contact the customer service at HMA VPN:
- The user can submit a request ticket on the official HMA VPN website.
- They can also contact the support team through the 24/7 Live Chat Support at HideMyAss VPN.
- They can even contact customer service through the official HideMyAss email.
- The users can also get in touch with the HMA team by contacting them on any of their official social media accounts.
The HMA VPN also features detailed installation guides, FAQs, a community forum, and a knowledge base on their official website, to ensure that their users can refer to these in case of any issues.
The HMA VPN is one of the oldest VPN services in the market, and it has managed to retain its popularity throughout the years. It is a VPN service with a wide variety of servers across 210+ countries around the world and offers strong security. It is also equipped with a lot of security features like the Kill Switch, IP shuffling, etc. however, if you are looking for a VPN for streaming, this might be the best choice.
- NordVPN Review 2021 – Is It Reliable
- Private Internet Access VPN Review 2021
- PureVPN Review 2021
- Goose VPN Review 2021 – Is It Good VPN?
- SurfShark VPN Review 2021 – Is it a Good & Trustworthy VPN?
- IVACY VPN REVIEW 2021 – Is it Safe & Good VPN?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) – HideMyAss Review 2021
Yes, HMA is a good VPN. It is known and very popular for its impressive speed, easy to use interface, and ability to bypass geo-blocks.
HMA is a VPN service that is used by the user to get access to sites or apps that may be blocked in their country or location. A VPN service reroutes the internet traffic of the user through their own server and gives the user privacy and anonymity by making their internet activities untraceable.
Downloading the HMA VPN is very easy and not time-consuming at all. All you have to do is follow these steps:
1. Connect to the internet and go to the HMA official website.
2. The official website carries the download links for a variety of operating systems, like Linux, Android, Windows, Mac, etc. From the list of operating systems, choose the operating system of your device.
3. Download the HMA VPN version meant for your device and install it on your device.
4.The next step is to set up your HMA VPN account, and once you are done with that, you are free to browse the internet.
HMA VPN has two categories of subscription plans: the Individual Use, which lets you connect up to 5 devices simultaneously, and the Family Use, which lets you connect up to 10 devices simultaneously.
Follow these steps to setup the HMA VPN on your router:
1. The first step is to check and be sure if the HMA VPN is compatible with your router.
2. Once you are sure that your router is compatible with the HMA VPN, purchase a HMA VPN subscription plan that suits you the best.
3. Once that is done, configure your router for the HMA VPN.
4. Once you are done with the configuration, all you have to do is connect your VPN to the internet and you are good to go!
Yes, the HMA VPN is a safe VPN option. It provides maximum security and privacy to its users, making it a very safe VPN service that you can trust.